Some time ago, a good friend, Bing Ru, asked me to help him fix his headphones and I ended up with the post HERE!
Well it kind of broke. And being the extreme perfectionist at jobs, I was determined to make sure it does not happen again. (I can already hear people calling bull and… You’re right!)
Okay on to the star of the day the brand new re-cabled PMX-200 with a tightly braided cable to relief stress… blah blah blah *insert crazy marketing here*. For those thinking of asking me to make one you’ll have to try very hard because two hours of braiding wasn’t exactly the most fun moments of my life.
The PMX-200 in all it’s glory. Look! there’s even a bright light pointing at the wrong spot!
Pardon the black plug I couldn’t find a silver one at home. Damn I just blew my perfectionist cover.
Plugging this baby into a random amp I acquired while looking for broken things to fix, I was impressed with this thing I called junk months ago. Bringing on the song Reflections Of My Life by Marmalade, I was somehow amazed at how good the guitars and drums sounded even though the only change I introduced was to re-cable it once again. One of the most comfortable sounding earphones I’ve heard. Not bright at all but with great highs, I felt at ease when listening to them. But then again the PMX-200 generally only costs 120 bucks so there ARE shortcomings such as a terrible isolation and completely uncomfortable design.
Mentioning the newly acquired amplifier, it was actually from an acquaintance whom I once modified a pair of MS-1s for. He realised that his amp was broken when the indicator light started flashing on and of and together with it the music faded and came back on with the rhythm. Being an extremely nice guy, he asked if I wanted to take a look at it. Me, inquisitive as a five year old, decided that I would go over to his place and pick the amp up for a check.
Upon reaching home, I immediately went with my electrical instincts and decided that the power supply was somewhat screwed. And yes! I was right about it. the supposedly 24 volt power supply was just showing over 12 volts. Well that was fast. But now where in the world was I going to find a spare 24 volt power supply at home where everything has internal transformers! After desperately searching for half an hour, I took the less obvious path of powering the amp with batteries. What kind of batteries you would ask. My answer to you is of course STRAWBERRIES, TEDDY BEARS and RHINOS!
And a rubber duckie!
Unfortunately one of this heavyweights was not enough. It only provided half of the required voltage but the power on this little pack is monstrous! enough to power flight.
Hey wait.
Sigh.
Moving on, I quickly got to work and made a little splitter connected to the power connector of the amp with random banana jacks and battery connectors I had.
I’ve never been good at art but this is me trying to draw a heart around my teddy! Never mind count it as a failed attempt.
As some people say, I get distracted easily. Wait. Did I just get distracted? Plugging in the batteries, the entire set up looked ridiculous. Perhaps because of my obsession with capacitors.
Family portrait of the Rig family.
Solo picture of Amplifier Rig.
PMX-200 playfully covers Amplifier’s face in a fun shot.
Turning the amplifier on, I was horrified by the huge amount of hiss this fat boy gave to my in ears. Turning the music on, there goes my clarity and when the bass kicked it it was resonant and mild. At least there is something to listen to if my taste changes.
On a completely different note, TODAY IS WORLD KIDS COLOURING DAY! Someone help me change it to rainbow… Oh never mind just imagine it’s already rainbow.


